Monday, June 9, 2008

The Umbrella Room

If you could not tell from my blog by now, I am a romantic at heart. I like to pretend in real life that I am independent and strong, and don't need help or anything for that matter that I cannot do for myself. 

However, this weekend was a very rough one for me... emotionally and physically trying. I did not know who to lean on, and didn't want to burden my friends or my family. I know that they would not consider it a burden, I just didn't want to bother anyone... Anyways, as I was saying, it was a  very trying weekend. I ended up sitting in bed Saturday night icing my swollen foot. The good news?? I got to catch up on my Tivo!!! 

I watched Ghost Whisperer, a great tv show that I love! The relationship that Melinda and her husband, Jim, have is just great! They tease each other, fight and make up. It was a rerun, but I forgot how much I loved the episode, "The Night We Met".  It had flashbacks of the night that Melinda and Jim met. They celebrated the anniversary of this night every year, and it was the fifth year, and Jim seemed to have forgotten. Melinda was disappointed that he was not remembering this special occasion and when her friend asked if she should give him hints, she stated that she did not want him to remember that way, and maybe it just wasn't that important. 

The flashbacks are muted in blacks with few colors, Jim's fireman's jacket was yellow, and then Melinda at the end had a red umbrella, which when she was walking in the rain, gets blown by the wind and it gets turned inside out. Jim tries to fix it and ends up completely ruining it. He asks if he can take her to dinner, to the Umbrella Room. She reluctantly follows and the Umbrella Room is... a hot dog stand with an umbrella! (Which is green and yellow). To cut this synopsis short... Jim actually remembered and got her a red umbrella. She cries, as he peers around the corner of the wall and has champagne glasses in his hands and asks if she would like to have dinner in the umbrella room. 

I love that the colors are muted except for the key pieces of the story. I love that he pretends not to remember, however buys her the PERFECT gift for the special day. 

In the middle of my hectic Saturday morning when I thought all was lost, and did not know if I could continue, I just wanted someone to call. And I should just say that I didn't just want ANY someone, I wanted THAT someone. 

Seeing the couples around me, does not depress me, it encourages me. Seeing these tv shows, and the movies, and the books I read, it encourages me to believe. Believe in love, believe that people find one another. That no matter how neurotic and crazy (or like Monica Geller) I am, there is still someone that will appreciate me, and think that its funny. 

So to all the couples that are in my life... Thank you, for just being you, and being in love! :)

2 comments:

Crawford Family said...

You only deserve the best and I know its out there for you! I am sorry you had a rough weekend I doubt all the gloomy rain helped :)

Juls said...

I love hearing you perspective on tv shows and songs. I always look at things differently because of you! THANKS!! :D