Thursday, November 6, 2008

My New Retail Therapy


On my way home from class today and decided to stop and get the last bit of fabric that I needed to make a purse from a pattern that my mom bought for me. I've been saving the cash in my wallet for a few days and just haven't made it out there.
After perusing the store for a few minutes and taking in the smell of the new fabric and listening to the classical music play overhead the stress of the day melted away and I kept thinking of all the projects that I could sew with the fabric that I was surrounded by. There are some really cute lines out right now. I believe its Moda that put out the new Christmas line called "Let it Snow". Its dark and has half melted snow men, it really is the cutest Christmas line I have seen in a long time. I keep looking at it and wishing that I could purchase enough to make a cute Christmas quilt for myself.
Anywho... I have sidetracked. After making my purchase the cashier asked for my punch card. I pulled it out from my pocket designated specifically for all the quilt shop punch cards that I have. These are my favorite quilt shops and would love to do my own little "shop hop" one Saturday and purchase something cute that I would inevitably find at each one.

So here they are:
Material Girls -
Located in South Jordan, UT. This is the shop I went to today. They have a diverse collection of patterns from aprons to quilts to stuffed dolls.
Pine Needles-
Located at Gardner Village in West Jordan, UT. This is one of my favorites. They have some really cute embroidery patterns and every year I purchase a new Witch quilt pattern on Witches Night Out. Its a small set up, and I always have to ask for the patterns because I can never find where they are, but it really is a cute store.
Quilt Etc.-
Located in Sandy, UT. This was the first quilt shop that I was introduced to. I do enjoy going, there are two different stores that is Quilts. One has the juvenile prints and then another store that has the holiday prints and then the lower level that has the fabric sorted by color. This is helpful when you are looking for specific colors for quilt patterns. Their pattern books are sorted by publisher and it makes it kind of difficult to locate a specific one. However they have set apart the Buggy Barn books finally. (These being my favorite quilts to make lately).
Thimbles & Threads-
Located in Sandy, UT. This is a very cute store that I am sad to say I don't go to a lot. I have bought a couple of patterns and some really cute Mary Englebreit fabric that I have yet to make the quilt.
Broadbents-
Located in Lehi, UT. This is one of the cutest shops I have been into for awhile. Its has fabric, Madam Alexander dolls, figurines, and even furniture. Its an old country store. I have bought a lot of stuff here and love to just walk around. This weekend they have their annual Christmas Open House. They have hot apple cider and cookies for you to snack on while you shop. I'm really looking forward to it, even if I can't buy anything this year.
The Quilting Cottage-
Located in American Fork, UT. This is a small house that was converted into a quilt shop. Its mainly on one floor. Each room is kind of a different theme. Juvenile prints, flannel prints, wool, and then the different holidays. The only thing I have really bought here is quilt kits. They have some really cute pre-cut kits in project bags that are great to keep for future projects.

Well these are my favorite shops that are within reasonable driving distance from my house. I have decided that quilt shops are the best retail therapy. Behind each bolt of fabric there are endless possibilities, each person seeing something different.

2 comments:

Juls said...

CUTE fabric! I cant wait to see the purse!!!
Oh, ps, GO UTES!!!!!

Crawford Family said...

Ohhh I will do it with you when I get into town! I adore Material Girls and Pine Needles! I haven't been to the one in american fork. I am so jealous of the number of good fabric stores we have oh ZERO!! I have to do all my fabric shopping online which stinks! Enjoy for me ;)