Monday, October 13, 2008

The Duchess & Being Courteous


So Felicity and I took a break and went to dinner and a movie. We are both on a budget for college, so Spaghetti Mama's was a perfect choice! We decided to go see The Duchess starring Keira Knightly.
This is the story of the Duchess of Devonshire, Georgiana. Nicknamed in the movie by close friends as simply G. First let me say this is based on a true story. It is not a happy story and can be kind of upsetting at times because of the traditions of how things were. As a whole it was well done. The dresses and fashion was amazing. She states to her husband that that is how women express themselves is through their dress and fashion. She does her own designs and sometimes her hair is very extravagant. I think Keira did a wonderful job at showing the emotions that the Duchess would have felt and done being raised as a "lady". In public she was all smiles and mingled with grace, in private she was quiet and secluded herself. I don't know if I would recommend people to watch this unless they know what is to come. I enjoyed it, but would probably not watch it several times.
What this movie did make me think is... At what point does being courteous become being a push over? At what point do you say enough is enough? Does obligation always outweigh one's own feelings and desires? I am so glad I did not live in these times, and I am not in any horrible situations (thank goodness!) but I do have to admit it is still hard for me to stand firm in my own desires when I know others do not agree. I usually stay quiet and do not voice my opinion strongly because I don't want any type of confrontation. I feel that sometimes this may be the wiser choice, after seeing this movie, I have decided that although it may be polite, sometimes your voice needs to be heard anyways.

2 comments:

LondonCalling said...

I am on the record, and if I had more time I would blog about it,- I HATED THIS MOVIE FOR MAKING ME SO DANG ANGRY!!!! I have enough stress in my life without a movie threatening to give me a coronary.

Crawford Family said...

Okay so I will probably go see it now even though felicity hated it so much :)