Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pride & Prejudice



So its 10:15 on Wednesday night, I should be sleeping, or if not sleeping at least studying. However, I find myself once again in front of the movie Pride & Prejudice. My favorite movie. There is no real way to put into words why I love this movie so much, or this story. It is a beautifully written novel by Jane Austen. The movie itself is done well, the landscape and the actors are perfect for the story. I love the music played, the camera shots and how everything seems to flow.
The story, well my niece gave me a book she told me I had to read, called Austenland by Shannon Hale, a book who's main character is apparently just like me. So I have not read much but she describes Pride & Prejudice as "the most perfect romance in all of literature and nothing in life can ever measure up, so I spend my life limping in its shadow." Some don't understand this story, or the romance that it describes, but how I long for something that would even come close in comparison.
Sometimes I joke that I was born in the wrong time, I love the 1950's particularly. Sometimes I look at the time shown in Pride & Prejudice and sometimes it seems easier, however many things were harder. I would love to sit and do needle point and draw (however bad I am at this, if I had lessons, maybe I would have been better). However, money defined your station and in turn who you were suitable to marry. As did your siblings and your parents. At my age, I would have been considered a spinster, although my dad assures me that if I had not been married the first time, I would have never made it to this age, which is encouraging.
Mr. Darcy is a whole subject to himself. Shy, considerate, accomplished, and so many other words, but I will end with... dashing.
From beginning to end I smile, I laugh, I gasp, I cry and sometimes say lines along with the characters.
I will end by saying my favorite scene is the dancing scene. Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy dance for the first time and while dancing their conversation subsides and they just watch each other, and as they do everyone in the ballroom disappears and they are the only ones in the room. They dance and still circle where the other people are dancing, then as they bow the others reappear. The music playing in the back and the dancing are just very moving every time it comes on I stop what I am doing and just watch the screen.
If you have missed out on this movie, you should watch it, definitely not a waste of time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey, I love love pride and prejudice as well and the 2005 version is awesome....think you should check out the BBC version with Colin Firth. You seem like a true Jane Austen fan so i know you will enjoy :)