Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wonderings


This last weekend I was on spring break and wanted to just take it easy at home before I started my Pediatric Nursing course. I've heard it's intense, and I figure I won't get much alone time. Anyways, my dear friend Felicity has told me over and over to watch North & South and I was looking through Netflix on my apple tv and realized that it was streaming free, so I started to watch it.
I had been slow to watch this because I always thought it was about the American North & South, and wanted to be in the right frame of mind for the issues that come along with that time of history. However, I was mistaken, it was England's North & South (see I would have known this had I paid attention to the fact that it IS a BBC production...).
I was enthralled from the first episode, even if it's a predictable show, as all these shows are. But it is something about this time frame that just engrosses me. The art of a relationship that is more than physical, as it was improper to kiss until engagement. Something that is grown from things that are not just surface deep. Couples walked around the grounds and spoke to each other. While in my life sometimes I realize that I try to appease the people that I talk with, the thing I find most intriguing is that I admire the main women character in these shows because they speak from their heart and hold to their desires. If it is not something they want, even if those around them think it is best, they hold true to themselves, and seek for what truly makes them happy.
The music, the scenery, the clothing, all make this movie near the top of my list of favorites. It's hard to put in words how these movies encourage me to be a strong independent woman. I know this sounds contradictory to the fact that the women don't end up alone, but what they don't need the relationship to be happy.
It's been a long time since I've been in a relationship, gosh, even been on a date. But, recently I've realized how exciting life is, how much there is to take in and how full my life can be, no matter my relationship status.

1 comment:

Erin Boehm said...

I LOVE that movie. I think I like this guy better than Darcy...is that bad? That last scene at the train station was so sweet. Why can't people be like that now?